Thursday, December 27, 2007

Germanic Sampler

It has been a long time since I have had my mind blown by an album. Needless to say, when I read the critic's reveiws of planningtorock's one woman act, I had to get my hands on the album as I refused to believe that anything new had the ability to do so. Alas, I concede to the critics, Vice Magazine said it best as quoted on the planningtorock website, "super fucking weird but also satisfyingly mind-blowing." Check out Janine Rostron's videos on YouTube as well, which are an integral part of her live performances. I look forward to her next album, and I truly hope that she remains an independent artist.
Have It All


Okay, so Liliput/Kleenex is actually from Switzerland, but with Germany bordering their nation to the north, and with nearly 63% of the population speaking German (including the band), I am classifying it as "Germanic." The group formed in 1978, calling themselves Kleenex, but had to rethink that when Kimberly-Clark threatened legal action. The group changed their name to LiLiPUT in 1979, but they are still widely known by both names. In this two disc set which covers the period of 1978-1983, you will notice the group went through quite a few changes, including a few different vocalists. The mainstays of the band were Marlene Marder on guitar, and Klaudia Schiff on bass. Take note of the many different sounds you hear throughout the album, some of which you may recognize in Have It All. Is it geography's influence? Or musical history?

LiLiPUT

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, great blog concept you've got going here!! I can't say I honestly enjoyed Planningtorock, though it was interesting, but Kleenex was much more my thing. Keep up the great work!

CTB said...

Thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback. Let me know if you have requests in the future.

Anonymous said...

Actually, planningtorock is British, but based in Berlin - so neither of these artists are German. ;)

Jim

CTB said...

Hmm...thanks Jim, perhaps I'm wrong, but it's my understanding Janine Rostron is from Germany, and later moved to England. From her music, it sounds as though both cultures are very much an influence.

Anonymous said...

I think she's originally from Bolton in the North-West of England - hence 'Bolton Wanderer'. I don't know if you're familiar with football, but the song is a play on 'Bolton Wanderers' which is the local team and one of the very first football teams in the world.

Anyway, thanks for the blog. Have you heard Moloko and Roisin Murphy's solo stuff? It's sort of similar, especially her first album.

Jim

CTB said...

Did not know that piece about "Bolton Wanderers" - that's why it's great to have an audience outside of the US. I have not heard Moloko and Roisin Murphy, but will definitely look for it and keep you posted. Thank you for the musical lead!

Anonymous said...

it must be added that bolton wanderers are rubbish! ;p

but seriously, this looks like an album i might like. i'll give it a try.

thanks for sharing.

CTB said...

Thanks Tim - let me know if you love it or hate it, or somewhere in the middle.

Jason said...

Link dead