Friday, January 4, 2008

Best of Unplugged

I've been searching and searching for the reason or reasons why this was never a wide release, but have yet to find out - if you know, fill me in. Most true Hole fans out there feel their collection is incomplete without this recording from Valentine's Day 1995, but could do without Celebrity Skin or anything thereafter. Truthfully, it is not "unplugged" in the traditional sense at all, but Courtney is best when she is able to make full use of discord. Despite all of Courtney's contrived bad press, she is still a quintessential figure in the rock and roll, and her music from this time period is now defined as classic.

Hole - MTV Unplugged

We all knew Lauryn Hill was a great artist, but did we really know the depth of her artistry until we heard this double disc unplugged? For myself, that answer is no. I knew of her convictions, but only vaguely understood through the press , which seemed to want to demonize her as anti-white. Eventually, Hill retreated from the public gaze and reemerged with this 2002 release. I wait for more of Lauryn's dose of reality.

Lauryn Hill - Unplugged

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you keep this going - there are so few posts for women in music on the blogs. The Lauryn Hill album is excellent. It would be great if you could find Siobhan Maher's Immigrant Flower (or Kindred Spirit, her album with Debbie Patterson).

thanks

vox

CTB said...

Thanks Vox! I'll be on the lookout and let you know when and if I come across Maher. I really appreciate your feedback.

Anonymous said...

lauryn hill is amazingly talented, not only musically but also in her spiritual insight

thx for posting

CTB said...

Thanks Patrick. I agree...when will Lauryn release something like this again?